The state has a large area in the semiarid with the highest incidence of global radiation in the country and the lowest annual mean cloud cover in Brazil.
OVERVIEW OF THE SECTOR
Bahia has excelled in investments in renewable energies. It was almost R $ 9 billion in the last three years, and today it occupies the first place in the generation of solar energy and 2nd in wind power. According to data from Aneel (National Agency for Electric Energy), the projection is that by the end of 2019 double the number of wind farms in operation and Bahia is also a leader in wind generation, surpassing Rio Grande do Norte. There will be more than 200 parks scattered throughout the interior of the state, where the potential of generation by the force of the winds is greater.
The state has some of the leading manufacturers and assemblers in the sector: Wind turbines (GE / Alstom, Nordex / Acciona and Gamesa) and Torres (Torres Eólicas do Nordeste, Torrebrás and Wobben). There are more than 19 companies developing wind projects in Bahia, with Renova, 93 projects and 1,799 MW, followed by Enel, with 25 projects and 707 MW, and CER Energia, with 21 projects and 524 MW.
In the same way, the solar potential of Bahia provides a favorable environment for the consolidation of the photovoltaic production chain in the state.
> WIND ENERGY
The wind potential for power generation is due to the characteristics of the winds, which in Bahia are constant and unidirectional. Unlike other states that have the wind potential on the coast, Bahia concentrates the best winds in the interior of the state, allowing a socioeconomic development in this region.
Bahia is the leader in the contracting of wind power generation ventures in the country. With 102 parks in operation (2,525 MW of installed capacity), 71 projects under construction (1,580 MW) and other 61 projects with construction to be started (1,266 MW), Bahia is currently the second largest energy producer from this source and will take the lead when all these 234 already commercialized parks are in operation, totaling 5,371 MW.
In an approximate comparison, the energy generated by wind farms operating in the state is capable of serving a population of more than 4 million inhabitants, or more than a quarter of the population of Bahia.
> PHOTOVOLTAIC SOLAR ENERGY
Bahia is a leader in investments in the generation of photovoltaic energy. The state has the best reserves of siliceous sand and quartz in the world, raw material for the production of photovoltaic panels, solar cells and extra clear glasses.
In order to maintain this position, Bahia is investing in promising projects, such as the one developed by MMC Consultoria & Engenharia, in partnership with the State University of Campinas (Unicamp), to take advantage of the Santa Maria Eterna deposit in Belmonte. There, sand deposits of high purity, with a very fine and clear sand, with contents of 99.84% of silica, are found which have excellent in natura quality for the chemical industry, ceramics and, mainly, of glasses with total transparency.
Bahia has a large area with the highest incidence of global radiation of the country – 6,000 Wh / m²dia. This area is located in the semiarid region and presents low rainfall, with the lowest annual mean cloud cover in Brazil.
The state is the leader in the commercialization of photovoltaic energy, counting on 27 projects (690 MW), including:
• 18 projects are in operation (446 MW);
• 4 under construction (95 MW);
• 5 will be completed by 2018 (149 MW).
Bahia is also a leader in photovoltaic power generation with an average generation of 22.8 MW in its plants, which represents 31% of the total generated in the country in 2017.
The three municipalities with the most projects in the state are: Tabocas do Brejo Velho, with 10 projects (273.4 MW), Bom Jesus da Lapa, with 8 projects (219.6 MW) and Juazeiro, with 5 projects (121.4 MW ).
Bahia offers a great investment opportunity in the biomass power generation industry, a sector that is still little explored, but with immense potential for development.
In the capital and other large urban settlements located in the state, the large amount of urban waste generated is shown as a promising input for electricity generation, either through biogas or incineration, as well as the possibility of generation from planted forests and residues of agricultural production.
• Wind power generation potential;
• 100M – 70.000 MW;
• 150M – 195.000 MW;
• 1.5x the Brazilian electrical matrix;
• Best Winds: constant, unidirectional and without gusts;
• Wind farms with capacity factor greater than 50%;
• Solar energy generation potential;
• Solar radiation levels greater than 6,000 Wh / m²day;
• Broad areas in semiarid regions;
• Availability of raw material for solar energy;
• Production of extra-clear glass (silica mine of high purity);
• Wafer production (quartz with low Boron content).
ADVANTAGES IN INVESTING
• With the expansion of the wind energy production chain, there is a promising horizon for suppliers of goods and services for the already consolidated industries;
• There is a great potential to attract the equipment industries, mainly due to the existence of the best reserves of siliceous sand and quartz in the world, fundamental for the production of photovoltaic panels, solar cells, extra clear glass or wafer – component responsible for the conversion of radiation into energy power;
• There is opportunity for investment in the expansion of the market for solar heaters and photovoltaic panels;
• Poles will be developed in the municipalities of Belmonte and Ilhéus, in the south of the state, attracting companies from different segments;
• It is also possible to invest in the biomass power generation industry, with immense development potential;
• Internalization of the development and diversification of the energy matrix of Bahia, focusing on clean energies;
• Increase the competitiveness of agriculture with the commercialization of new products (production of biodiesel and ethanol for export and use of waste for the generation of electric energy);
• Creation of the wind energy production chain (attracting manufacturers of wind turbines and suppliers of machinery, equipment and services).
MAIN COMPANIES INSTALLED
WHERE THE SECTOR IS PRESENT
See the map below where the sector is predominant in the state.